Tuesday, February 10, 2009

graffiti, kabobs, and dog poop



This weekend was so much fun! On Friday night we went out for Leah's 22nd birthday to this mexican restaurant (yes mexican, not spanish) that was delicious! Then we went to this club Granada 10 where we went the first night we were in Granada. It was a lot different atmosphere on a Friday night than on a Monday. It was a lot of fun but really crowded and drinks were terribly expensive! On Saturday we went to this flamenco show that was not what I expected at all. I have always imagined flamenco shows as 
people dancing and girls wearing brightly colored dresses. This show was four people--a guitarist, a singer, and two people who I am unsure of their role in the performance. The majority of the time they sat there randomly clapping and saying random words. I thought there was going to be no dancing at all but finally on the last song that both got up and danced randomly but their faces were definitely more intense than the performance should have allowed. It was fun though and I guess we did only pay 4 euros to see it so maybe one day I will splurge and go see another flamenco show in one of the gypsy caves. after the flamenco show we went to this club called El Camborio. It was so cool! There is this area called Sacramonte, which I will tell you about later, where the whole town is built out of caves including this club. When you walked up the stairs of the club there was the most amazing view of Granada and the Alhambra. The club also wasn't too packed so it was a lot of fun, there were break-dancers at the club who were so good. The only other time I have seen break-dancers was at the metro in NYC so seeing it in a club was quite the experience. The keep asking Molly and I how Americans danced so we taught them how to raise the roof hahaha (I think I got the majority of my dance skills from dad) Stina and I successfully ate two kabobs on Saturday, one in between the flamenco show and one after the club. There are kabob places EVERYWHERE in Granada and they are so amazing! It would be like having pita pit every 5 feet. I usually get falafel however, Stina got chicken which was speared on this large roaster and was approximately 1 foot high full of meat GROSS. Molly's roommate Kristina said that she tries to limit herself to one kabob per week, Stina and I are trying to resist multiple kabobs per day. Yes, I know I'm very skinny! 

So for the past two days I have gone on cultural tours with API to get class credit. Yesterday we walked through Sacramonte and the Albaicin. They are two neighborhoods in Granada and what I pictured Granada looking like from pictures I had seen before I came here. The neighborhoods are all little white houses that all resemble each other and in Sacramonte there are all of these gypsy caves. The gypsies all try to sell stuff or open bars in one of the caves serving sangria and what not. It was a really pretty view and luckily was on one of the first sunny days here so it was really pleasant to walk around. There are a lot of cool restaurants in Sacramonte that I want to go back to once it is warmer outside and sit on a patio overlooking the city. Today we went to the Alhambra which was amazing. Whoever comes to visit me, we are definitely going back. It was a Moorish city built in the 13th century but looks more like a palace, it is known as the red fortress. The architecture is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. All of the rooms have intricately designed ceilings and tile covering the walls and floors. There is a big Islamic influence in the architecture because it was built by a Muslim ruler. In the center of the Alhambra is a reflecting pool surrounded by four doors. According to the Koran, Muslims are allowed to have four wives so the doors correspond to the four different living quarters of the wives. The Moors who were living in Spain were conquered by the Christians under Ferdinand and Isabella so there is also a Christian influence on the architecture in the Alhambra. Charles V was also the one who erected the palace in the center of the Alhambra. So there was a brief history lesson for yall. It was seriously one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. Each room you walked in was so incredibly built, I can't imagine how long it took to construct the Alhambra!

Alright, well bed time for me. This is going to be the earliest I have gone to bed since I have been here but unfortunately tomorrow I am going to have to stop living my fairy tale life and start class BOO! 

1 comment:

  1. that's the graffiti that was mary's background, right?! miss you!

    ReplyDelete