Saturday, May 16, 2009

the last days...

I can´t believe that these past 16 weeks have gone by so quickly and a week from now I will already be home! I am having mixed emotions about leaving, while I want to see everybody I can´t imagine leaving Granada.
To begin our countdown to home, on Monday night we walked up to the Albaizyn, a really cool neighborhood up on a hill overlooking Granada with the typical white Spanish houses. We went to Mirador San Anton which is this just like really cool spot where you overlook not only the entire city of Granada but right in front of you is the Alhambra (according to Molly, it is the most visited monument in Europe, which none of us believed, upon further research I believe it is the Eiffel Tower). Our original plan was to drink a bottle of wine, eat our bocadillas, and watch the sunset but we actually couldn´t see the sunset. We could only see the reflection of the sunset on the Alhambra which I think is just as cool and as it started getting darker outside they turned spotlights on the Alhambra. It is so crazy to me that I have lived in such an awesome place for the past four months and can walk 20 minutes from my house and see this anicent fortress built hundreds of years ago. After the Albaizyn, we went and got tapas at Bella y La Bestia (Beauty & the Beast for all you English speakers), I obviously don´t eat meat and Molly doesn´t eat pork (after watching the movie Babe) and the first tapa they serve is a ham and cheese bocadilla so we asked for all vegetarian tapas. The guy clearly didn´t like this. He not only tried to cheat Kristen out of 10 euros but then literally poured hotsauce all over our french fries and sauteed mushrooms that could have potentially been really good. After a very unsuccessful attempt at getting tapas, we made our way to Dolce Vita. The night was fun and ridiculous as always. Funny story...Kristen, Molly and I were going to the bathroom and Molly was trying to close the door and as she was trying to shoulder it close she completely wiped out and was laying on the bathroom floor (disgusting, I know) and then I, trying to be the good friend that I am, tried to help her off of the floor and the back wall of the bathroom literally fell on my back. Granted it was only plywood but it was hilarious to say the least.
On Thursday night, Isabel (my host mom) invited Carol and I out for tapas with her friend Pilar and Pilar´s two host daughters (so random, one of the girls was from Charlotte and the other girl was from Georgia). We went out to this little tapas bar down the street from where we live and sat at a table outside and drank wine and ate tapas. It was so much fun, I wish I had gone out with Isabel more often but we always assumed Thursday night was her time away from having host students in her house all the time. I also realized how much of a partier my host mom actually is. Her friend Pilar is crazy. Pilar is Isabel´s ex-husband´s sister but they still go out and get tapas every Thursday. After we went to tapas they were going to another bar down the street and invited us so I went and got another drink with them before going to meet up with my friends. When we went into the bar, Pilar and Isabel not only knew everybody there but Pilar was making her way around the room and trying to teach all of us how to dance flamenco/reggaeton.
I am currently in the bus station waiting for Meghan and Lauren to get here from Barcelona, I got the time a little off on their arrival so I am sitting in a little internet room. We are going to the Arab baths this afternoon that used to be public baths when the Moorish people lived in Granada and now have been converted into spas. Hammam, the one we are going to has 3 pools--one hot, one warm, and one cool and you just make your way around the room in the different pools and at the end you get a massage. I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment