Thursday, March 26, 2009

irlandoooo

Where do I even begin...
I was waiting at the bus stop to catch the bus to the bus station to go to the big bus station and eventually to the Malaga airport. As I was waiting at the bus stop, I heard Molly calling my name and looked over at Kristen, Leah, and Molly were all in a cab headed to the bus station so clearly I hopped in. I have never seen as much traffic in Granada until of course we are on a time limit. We asked the cab driver how much further to the bus station and he asked if we were on the 7 o'clock bus and we said no 6:30 and he said we would have "to fly" if we wanted to make it on time. We call Stina, the responsible one out of our friends who had like 45 minutes before we did, and she bought our tickets. We FINALLY make it to the bus station in the nick of time and head for Malaga. Not 5 minutes into our adventure our bus gets in a wreck. NO JOKE. Who has ever heard of someone getting into a "bus wreck" so we are stuck on the side of the road for AN HOUR. I look to my left while at the scene of the crash and there are prostitutes, standing on the side of the road, in broad daylight. Kristen and I were like what is there excuse going to be when the police come, just waiting for a ride? So we finally get on the road and make it to the bus station in Malaga and then have to take a taxi to the airport. The ride is only an hour and a half from Granada to Malaga but it took us 2 1/2 hours. We get to the airport at 9:20 for our 9:45 flight and every single check-in kiosk is closed. We run to customer service and he tells us that the flight is already closed and that there is nothing that we can do. We were super nice to him, explained to him that we left Granada at 6:30 and that our bus got in a wreck, he makes a few phone calls and tells us how lucky we are and writes us handmade boarding passes. And we're off...
We finally make it to Shannon, Ireland at 11:45 Thursday night and take a taxi to our hostel. We woke up the next morning and went to Bunratty Castle which was one of the coolest things I have ever done. They think it is the castle where William Penn was born and had it all set up like it was when the Earls lived there. There is a whole little village around Bunratty depicting Ireland 300 years ago. It was really cool! We hung out in Shannon for most of the day and then went to Limerick to catch a bus to Dublin. We got to Dublin around 9 on Friday night, cooked dinner, and then in typical hostel style went out to a local pub with some boys from our hostel. La Mez was a really cool Irish pub with a live band and what do you know? Carlsberg, probably the best beer in the world. Molly told the lead singer that it was my birthday and he not only sang happy birthday to me but the entire pub started singing happy birthday to me! 
Saturday morning (my birthday!) we woke up and took a train to Howth, 30 minutes outside of Dublin. There were the coolest cliffs that we walked along on the coast. It was one of the prettiest things that I have seen in my life. Running a close second behind the mountain I climbed in Malawi. We hung out in Howth for a little and ate the best sandwich I have ever had in my life. When we got back to Dublin we went to the Guiness Storehouse. It is like a 7 floor museum that explains the history of the beer and how it is made. It is of course included with a free pint of Guiness at the end of the tour. Once again Molly (she loves birthdays as much as a do) told the bartender that it was my birthday and they gave me another free pint of beer with 21 drawn in the foam. We went out to dinner after the factory and then the other girls went home because Ireland is ridulously expensive but Molly and I decided to hit the town...
We seriously went to one of the craziest clubs I have ever been to. We were standing in line and the girls in front of us who were from Dublin told us that the guys in the club were kind of creepy. We kind of shrugged it off because hey, they were from Dublin and were still going. When we got into the club Molly and I were just hanging out, dancing by ourselves when some boy came up behind me and SMELLED MY HAIR. WHO DOES THAT? I was so creeped out that Molly and I just decided to keep a constant movement around the club so that no other boy had the opportunity to smell the scent of my shampoo. 
It was soo much fun though and Ireland is absolutely gorgeous! Christine is coming to Granada this weekend, I have midterms Tuesday and Wednesday next week and then I head to Greece on Wednesday for Semana Santa--woop woop!
love, love, love,
grayson

No comments:

Post a Comment